Friday, November 11, 2011

Runner's High...or Are these runners high?!?!

September 11, 2011...

Yes, it was the 10 year anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade center.  It was ALSO the day after (when the runners finished!) the inaugural Hawk 100 trail race at Clinton Lake in Lawrence, KS. To most of the world, this may not seem all too important. To the people running and those who love them, it was a HUGE deal!

Who runs 100 miles in the woods for fun, you may ask? Oh, I know a few people...
Coleen, me, Debbie (and Chris in the background!)
Coleen (you've met her before and she's tough to miss with the pink hair!) won this race and it was her SIXTH hundred mile finish. Debbie had so many obstacles preventing her from finishing this race, but she DID and she looked beautiful doing it too :)

Debbie's son, Michael is currently serving in the US Army and is in Afghanistan. She is the most amazing, loving mother and his safety is always her #1 concern. When she got news that his safety might be in danger, it almost put her out of commission in the middle of the woods. With the support of her friends, her pacers and her inner strength, she persevered and finished well under the 32 hour cutoff. I dragged my Mom and kids to Clinton Lake so I could surprise her at an aid station and after almost 90 miles of running, she gave me a huge hug and carried on. I love this lady. She has been like a mother/sister/amazing friend to me through this entire ordeal (as so many of my close friends have!). Our talented friend Chris (you've met him before too!) wrote a fantastic article that you may want to read...

What does this have to do with breast cancer? Yeah...nothing. As I sat down to blog, I realized that much of my life right now has NOTHING to do with breast cancer. Surely you're all sick of reading about it anyway, right? I feel so lucky that for the most part, I am still able to do the things I love to do. In about 10 more blog posts, you'll see pics from the most recent race I went to and got bit by the bug. When this cancer crap is all said and done, hold me to it, the two girls above are going to get me through a hundred miler too. Just wait.

xoxo
Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment