Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Happy Birthday to ME!!

Those of you who know me well know that I am *rarely* on time with birthday gifts, if you get one at all. It is with that in mind that I choose to post my own birthday wishes to myself a month late... Why should I be any different? :)

For 39 years, I guess I've taken my birthday for granted. When the word 'cancer' creeps into your life, somehow you learn to appreciate the finer things in life...like having another birthday to celebrate. I know it's a little crazy, but a few years ago, I started rounding my age up to 40. Really. Why? Hmmm...I'm not really sure, but I can't WAIT to be 40! Maybe it has something to do with running...competing in the Masters age group (over 40) is enticing... or maybe it's because turning 30 changed my life for the better. Maybe 40 will be even better yet? Either way, I've got one more year to know for sure and I will make it there in better shape than when I hit 30. And I will have a new set of boobs! But for now, I'm stuck with boobs full of cancer and only 39 years under my belt...

Regardless of still being stuck in my 30's, October 19 was an awesome day. Aside from the abundance of Facebook wishes ( I really love those by the way), my Dad was in town from NY (yes, AGAIN!) and Annika had a practice 5k with her Girls on the Run group. I got to do so many of my favorite things...spend time with my family, run, and drink wine/eat cake with my friends and family, kids included.  I also got the absolute BEST birthday gift a girl could ask for...my sisters got plane tickets to come see me for Thanksgiving!! It doesn't get much better than that! I can't WAIT!!!!!



Josh and Gramps rocked the cowbells and worked our aid station

Ready, Set, GO!!
My favorite running buddy!! <3

Congratulations Annika! You did it!! Girls on the Run is so much FUN!



It was chilly but fun!!

After the freezing cold practice 5k, we headed home to get ready for our friends to come over for dinner and cake...
Josh with Asha, Aylin and Atticus chowing down


So happy to have my Dad and kiddos to celebrate! 

My Pops and Me (with my awesome new wine glass that Debbie gave me!!) 
Mark, me, Josh, Julia, Ger

The beautiful cake that my neighbor Toshia made! Toshia's hubby Mark^^^^ came over to celebrate for both of them because she was sick :( We need a do-over!  
DD lit my candles... 

I don't tell my wishes or they don't come true...but I bet you could guess ;) 

Erin and Danny...Erin is a big supporter of Blue Footed Boobies 

Great friends, good times... (Debbie is behind the camera!) Julia, me, Ger, Chris, Danny and Erin 

Through all of this cancer crap, my family in NY has had the opportunity to meet and get to know my friends and 'family' here. My family worries about me, I know this for sure. But when they see the amazing people that I have in my life, there is a reassurance that I will be ok if they can't be here for every step of this battle. Of this bunch, all have played the role of chauffeur, chemo date, running therapist, or chore support...some have played ALL roles :)  I cannot express how fortunate I feel to have so many incredible people in my life who do not waver in their support and abundant generosity and affection. Obviously not everyone could make it to the party since it was rather impromptu and on a random Wednesday night. Either way, I am a lucky lucky girl. I love you guys!!

Happy belated Birthday to me!

xoxo
Shelley
 

1 comment: