Friday, November 11, 2011

Round 4 vs. AC Chemo... TKO!!

On September 22, I had my final round of AC chemo. I was so very lucky to have my Mom with me for the two weeks prior and to celebrate the last round. Having her support is so important to me. There are a few things you should know...

One... my mom is incredible. I know it must have been difficult to live with me for the three weeks that she was here. I was cranky and foggy and not my normal self for much of it. I had a really difficult time adjusting to 'chemo brain' and my frustration led me to be hard on the ones I love the most. My mom, my dad, my kids... She worked so hard at my house to help me with housekeeping and my kids. I don't know if I properly thanked her and I know that I didn't make her feel as appreciated as I should have. I love you Mom! You are a wonderful friend to me and an amazing mother. Thank YOU for everything you did and continue to do for me. The 'chemo brain' felt like someone stuffed my head with cotton and it was easy for me to get overloaded with information. I couldn't focus and had a hard time if things around me were moving too quickly...really!

Two... that last round of AC chemo didn't really hit me as hard as I thought it would. I learned in my 3rd chemo that I could pass on the Ativan that they were giving me before each treatment. It's supposedly an anti-nausea med, but it made me feel nauseous, crappy and groggy so I said 'No, thanks' :)

Three... weeeeellll, maybe it hit me harder than I thought because when it came time for me to start my once weekly Taxol treatments on October 13, my white blood cells and absolute neutrophil counts were down too far for them to treat me. I had to wait a week, get 2 shots of Neupagen, and start Taxol on October 20. It was quick, easy and had very few side effects. I had my second Taxol on Oct 27 and my third on November 3rd. And then I was told by my oncologist that although I feel great, my body can't keep up with the chemo. I've had SEVEN treatments within 3 months. Most people have 4 in that time. It's the dose dense regimen that works best with triple negative breast cancer.  So now (and I'll post separately on this too), I will have to skip every 3rd treatment and that will extend my chemo an additional 5 weeks. Really? I'm so over it. Let's get this DONE! I'll create a timeline in a future post...

Back to my last round of AC... After it was all said and done, my Mom and friend Desiree took me to lunch at The Westside Local , the restaurant that I am part owner of and love with my entire being. We sat on the patio and enjoyed the beautiful fall day :)
Cheers!!! And yes, I'm wearing Sea Bands on my wrists...what?? They help with nausea! :)

Me and my amazing Mom. Does it look like we've been crying? Tears of  joy! AC is OVER!
   
So there you have it. Yes, I survived AC chemo. It's over, done and I don't ever want to dance with the Red Devil again. Please support breast cancer research efforts so I don't have to worry about it, ok? Thanks :)

xoxo
Shelley


No comments:

Post a Comment