Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Halloween 2011=Multiple Personality disorder

For the past 3 years, I have participated in a charity fundraiser fashion show for my hair stylist, part owner of Headmasters salon in Lawrence, KS. Three years ago, it was a fundraiser for Harvesters and the past two years have been for the Boys and Girls Club. Micki is the one who shaved my head and has been a close friend for almost 5 years. I wasn't really expecting to be part of the fashion show this year for obvious reasons (uh, yup, I'm bald), but Micki was insistent that we could do something cool. She had a femme fatale in mind and after doing some brainstorming, we settled on Alice from Resident Evil as a foundation for my costume. First, she is a badass. Second, she wore a red dress in Resident Evil reflective of the 'red devil' that I had just conquered with my AC chemo. Third, well...I have always wanted to carry a gun in a thigh holster. Secret exposed.

The show was under attended, but was a blast for me. The past couple of years I haven't really been nervous but this year, I freaked a little because I hadn't rehearsed...and maybe because in the past, my hair was the center of attention where this year it was the lack of?? Regardless, it was fun and I had a great night with my salon friends and Ben who came from KC to watch. I felt like a total badass in that costume and intend to wear it again :)
Pre-runway with a G&T to take the edge off


I was a zombie hunter after all... so I hunted zombies
As amazing as the costume was, I didn't think it was entirely appropriate to wear to the elementary school costume parade so I had to find another costume to wear that was 'kid-friendly'. With my counts so low, an elementary school isn't the ideal place to hang out so I really needed to wear a medical mask to keep the germs at bay. Thus was born the next personality...
Dr. Shelley Pepper, MD...you can call me Dr. Pepper :)

My kids cracked up as did most of their friends. It was a fun costume for sure! But when I got invited to an adult Halloween party, I decided that I really needed to rock the bald and find a costume that would embrace it. I mean, hopefully I won't have another bald Halloween, right?? What better costume than the female version of Mr. Clean? In a group setting, it is safest for me to have tons of hand sanitizer on hand anyway! So the next personality was an easy one...Mrs. Clean!

Mrs. Clean with party hostess, Alice in Chains


Me with the creepy clown guy. Nightmares.
All of that happened before actual Halloween so on Monday, the REAL Halloween, I reverted back to the most comfortable costume for trick or treating. We were lucky enough to have friends join us for Dinner in a Pumpkin and a really warm night of trick or treats.  
Josh's side of the pumpkin... >:-(

Annika's side :)

Dr. Pepper, Lego Josh, and Cavegirl Annika
What a fun Halloween and a chance to be so many different things... I still like who I am without a costume best but dressing up is fun. If you ever need to borrow a thigh holster...you know who to ask!

xoxo
Shelley

3 comments:

  1. I'm off today and as I lay in bed thinking of my day ahead preparing for hosting two Thanksgivings tomorrow, my first thought was that I haven't read Shelley's blogs lately. What a great surprise waiting for me and my first cup of coffee! You are in my thoughts and prayers daily, and you made me add tears to my coffee this morning. Happy Thanksgiving from (Western)Kentucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelley -- I'm a reporter from ink magazine. I really like your blog. I interviewed your friend Kelly a few months ago and would like to talk to you about a story I'm working on. Did you get my Facebook message? Sorry to stalk you! I just didn't have your email. -- Sarah Gish (sarah@inkkc.com)

    ReplyDelete