Friday, November 11, 2011

Rated XXX...read with caution!! ;)

My photog friend, Bo Flores, posted on his Facebook page that he was doing a topless rooftop photo shoot for breast cancer awareness. When I approached him about it, he was shocked, not knowing that I had been diagnosed. From there, I recruited friends who recruited their friends and families and we all went topless in downtown KC. This was a test shoot to raise money for the Young Survival Coalition, an amazing organization that was started in KC for young women with breast cancer. (I have used their website for support and resources more than any other.) Next year, Bo has dates in several cities across the nation to do the same, but for Susan G. Komen.

Deciding to do this was easy for me...I never hesitated, having very little modesty anyway :), but I know that for many of the women, it was a tough thing to do. It shocked me that my Mom decided to do it, as an 8 year survivor of breast cancer. She (unlike me) is very modest and I am so proud of her for taking the plunge. It was amazing to have her by my side. The most difficult thing for me was that through so many rounds of chemo, the steroids caused me to bloat and gain weight. Very few of my jeans fit so I rocked super tight jeans and got over it in a hurry. If people look at these pics and think of how tight my jeans look or that someone's ass looks fat, they're missing the point anyway...

Thanks for getting nekkid with me, girls!!

Debbie and me 


I am so proud of you Mom!! 
Look for the dome...there we are!

Incredible. What an experience.
DD and me

I have this framed (Thanks Sam!) on my desk at home. Kelly (my inspiration), Sam (our co-survivor), me
This has been quite a year for the three of us. Thank you for your friendship girls! <3

In all my glory...a most empowering experience.




 
So now we'll have to decide what city to hit next year for the real shoot. What?? It was fun and for a GREAT cause! 

xoxo
Shelley


1 comment: