Monday, August 1, 2011

Finally a positive negative!!!!

When I was first diagnosed and was told that I have triple negative breast cancer, I thought it was a good thing. Nope, not the case. As i described in an earlier post, breast cancer is fueled by different things. They test ER (estrogen receptor), PR (progesterone receptor), and HER2. Mine isn't fueled by any of those. One website describes triple negative breast cancer as a redhead. But instead of calling her a redhead, she would be a non-blonde, non-brunette, without a beard. So they really don't know how to reduce risk of recurrence because it's understudied and not completely understood. So in this case negative is really negative.

But today, on top of the awesome news on the clear PET scan from Friday, my BRCA test came back negative!!! Yay!! A positive negative...actually TWO positive negatives...in 2 days! The negative BRCA doesn't really change my course of treatment, but now having a hysterectomy isn't critical. And for my Annika Bea, this is fantastic news! And of course for my sisters! Although I am happy that my older sister is going to get a mammogram anyway. I love her too much for her not to do it :) So check that test off the list. Breast MRI: clear. PET scan: clear. BRCA test: NEGATIVE! So now we just wait on the brain MRI (hopefully tomorrow) and get this party started!

I got a call from a good friend on Friday who works for Amgen in the oncology division. She told me about an oncologist at KU breast center who specializes in triple negative cancer. She gave me contact info for a nurse and NP there. I am meeting with Dr Sharma on Thursday to get a second opinion and really hope that my decisions are clear. I hate making decisions and these are BIG ones. This appointment should tie it all together though and make the path a little clearer.

I am currently taking applications for a personal assistant to keep track of appointments, test results, coordination of the oncology surgeon, plastic surgeon, medical oncologist and every other person who wants a piece of me and my cancer. It's not a glamorous job and it doesn't pay well. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Ok so that's it. It was a great day. I was told that the results would take another week and bam! They came back within an hour of my call. Funny how that works...

I also found out that my chances of starting chemo so soon after surgery is pretty slim. So it may be mid-late September before they start. Oh well...what's a couple weeks, right?

Before I start throwing in any other random happenings or thoughts from today...

Xoxo Shelley 'BRCA negative' Flones

2 comments:

  1. SO happy! Did I hear someone say Euler? I would totally be your personal assistant except that being Nick's personal assistant is already like a full time job.

    ReplyDelete