Friday, August 12, 2011

Excuse me...I've been busy having cancer.

Alright, alright, alright! I know it's been a little while, but I've been busy having cancer! The cancer itself takes no time at all really, but juggling all the appointments, phone calls and medicines is a nightmare! The only volunteer I had for a personal assistant just moved to Colorado. Euler, Euler?

So what's been going on, you ask? Well shoot! Where do I begin?

Love you Julia!! Thanks for pretending you knew the chants with me!
How about my weekend? It was awesome! The kids and I had a nice relaxing Friday night at home watching movies since we were all pretty beat from the craziness the week before. We got up early and had whole grain waffles with our hometown maple syrup (thank you Nana and Papa!!) and since it was raining, decided to go get Smurf'ed AGAIN! and yes, we loved it just as much the second time around :) Saturday was errand day so it wasn't super fun for the kids, but it was 'normal' which we all need a little bit of every now and then. Saturday night, however, was AWESOME, CP was home and offered to take the kids overnight so I could go with Julia to the Sporting KC vs Seattle Sounders MLS match at the new Livestrong park (how appropriate, right?). I wonder if cancer patients and survivors get a discount? Just askin'... :) I can honestly say that professional soccer may easily be my new favorite sport to watch. We were both pretty tired but still managed to get caught up in the chants. The game is SO easy to follow. Yes, I'm in the market for a nice women's Sporting KC shirt and scarf. What a blast! HUGE Thank you to Julia for being an amazing friend and for thinking of me when she scored two tickets. Loved the game, love you more!

Ok, are you bored with my weekend yet? Too bad. This is my blog and I'll do what I want :) so Sunday I got up early and headed to the only Sunday market in KC (boo) and swooped up Kelly along the way. We both loaded up on tomatoes (owee on my impending mouth sores from chemo), lots of fresh fruit...peaches, more peaches, blackberries, blueberries, canteloupe...all the makings for a healthy week. It was a quick but mighty necessary trip made much more enjoyable shopping with Kelly. It's great to brainstorm recipes with a friend with similar health goals. Hey, Kel, love you :) Then I picked up the kids and we got an invite to meet friends at our gym pool. Although my underarm biopsy site wasn't *technically* supposed to be submerged, I figured since Shell is a Dr, I was safe :) So to the pool we went and had good fun. I even happened upon two random friends in the pool. Then this crazy weird storm blew in out of nowhere and one strike of lightning sent us all scattering, for good reason. So home we went and took a nap, watched movies and did what you do when you don't sleep well at night...crashed while the kids watched the Wizard of Oz. Awesome weekend all around.

Oh, I bet you want to know how that biopsy turned out, huh? For those of you not following me on Facebook, it was a very anticlimactic negative result on the nodes. Also, in the same breath, a very negative result on BRCA test (genetic). Dr Sharma picked it apart to look for other potential mutation and said it was definitely negative (you're welcome Karen).

So where did that leave me? With a confused oncologist. Somehow, from our meeting the week before, she understood that if it was negative, I wanted to proceed with surgery first. Uh, no! So I set the record straight with her nurse and we stayed on course for our chemo plan. Dr Shook (surgeon) called me on his first day back from vaca so I could let him in on the new plan. He was incredibly supportive and was hoping that I would have gotten that type of feedback from Dr Belt. He was apologetic and sincere and offered to get me in surgery for a port as soon as I needed it. Well that turned out to be much earlier than I expected.

Ok, before I go getting all 'cancer' on you, I've decided to start a new post for that. Sit still! I'll be back!

Xoxo Shelley

1 comment:

  1. Shells,
    Let me be the first to say...I love you man! Although I haven't seen you in quite sometime, just know you have been an inspiration to me career wise and as a strong willed woman! Girl power to its' fullest! You are the epidomy of a go getter! I know you will beat this! This cancer picked the wrong one, it has no idea the butt whooping it's in for :). I will continue to follow and encourage you because your awesome! I linked your blog to mine hope you don't mind. :)
    -Toya aka LP :) xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete