Sunday, August 14, 2011

Chemo Day #1 of many...

So I figure you're ready for chemo day now and I almost feel bad that it was really uneventful. The actual chemo itself wasn't too bad for me, but the days to follow are another story. Here's how Thursday played out...

Best chemo bag EVER. Note the Amande yogurt. Cultured almond milk. Yum. Just saying... 
With a much lighter head, I had a horribly restless night's sleep on Wednesday night. I stayed up late, packing up my chemo bag, which included lots of...food! Kelly warned me that I would want to try to snack because the nausea can be overwhelming. So I had Trader Joe's ginger snaps, beef jerky, dark chocolate covered pomegranate seeds, you know, usual snack food. I packed an extra outfit which would prove to come in handy later on. And I packed my iPad...which was the best purchase I've made in a looooong time.  And thank goodness for my sister, Lauren, because the bag she gave me this summer was perfect for holding such a mess! And it has my initial on it just in case chemo brain kicked in and I got confused...

So Julia came and picked me up at home, brought me to the cancer center and hung out for a while before she had to head to work. She has been such an amazing friend to me with so much going on in her life. I am so thankful for such amazing friends :) We got to the cancer center and my work partner and dear friend met us there to help keep me company. My friend Andrea came by with some awesome magazines and hugs (she works in the center so I hope to see her often!). By the time we went in, my nerves were calmed and I was ready to go.

Check out that Power Port!! Sweet!
I was lucky enough to get a room with a view (Kelly recommended it and it was so nice to see trees!) and Lori and I actually worked and chatted through the whole process. They mix your drugs while you are there so the process isn't seamless, but I was tended to pretty quickly. This power port business is totally awesome because I only had to be plugged in, not stuck with a needle and it was really very uneventful. I got cozy, snacked a lot and really didn't feel much. The whole process took less than 5 hours, really probably more like 4. I had no idea the impact the treatment would have afterward, but the actual chemo itself was not that bad. It needs to be said, however, that having amazing company like Julia and Lori made it SO much better!

p.s. There was one completely sourpuss nurse there that I wanted to slap. Really lady? Is it so hard to smile when everyone ELSE around you has cancer?? I'm going to work on her in the weeks to come... :)

So, when all was said and done, I slipped into my wardrobe change and we went out for some snacks and a much needed beer :)
Wardrobe change...


Much needed beer!! With Lori and Julia <3 

So that's it, right? Ohhhh no. Come on, you all know me by now, right? So Julia drove my loopy ass home for a little nap. Then I picked up both kids from preschool/summer camp, met up with CP and Lauren and went to Sneak a Peek at the elementary school. Wait, quick backgrounder... 

Annika has been really anxious about her 3rd grade teacher. In our school, you find out who your teacher is on Sneak a Peek day. Well, unless your mom is resourceful and is awake at 3am checking the parent access portal on the school website. I knew at 3am that Annika got the teacher she wanted. I texted CP at about 6am on Chemo Day/aka Sneak a Peek Day to have her call me. So before I went into chemo, I got to tell my baby girl that she got the wish she hoped for. That was nice :)

Ok, so Sneak a Peek was a blur. I barely remember the time we spent and everything was kind of foggy. The kids were excited though and it went pretty well. Afterward, hugs and kisses and kids went off with Dad and Lauren. I went home to figure out how to function in the weird chemo world...  Too many pills to pop and too much weird sensation. I feel human today, but it has taken a few days. 

They gave me a regimen of steroids and anti-nausea meds, but I just feel woozy and loopy when I take them. Of course I take them anyway, but I am so happy that after day 3, I only take them if I feel nauseated. I will stay on warfarin for my port (to prevent clots) but it's such a low dose that it's just preventative. 

Side effects so far?  Chemo brain, forgetfulness, overly sensitive scalp (no thinning YET), really sensitive skin, dulled taste buds (dammit) and that's about all. Overall fatigue but I can't figure out if that's from not sleeping well or the meds. 

Ok, I'm tired. Friday I went to get my shot of Neulasta (to boost my immune system between treatments) first thing in the morning then I worked all day. I felt fine, but maybe just a little off kilter. I picked up the kids as usual and we had movie night. Saturday the kids went back to CP's and I just rested most of the day. Today was a big day, but I'm too tired to keep typing so you'll just have to wait. Goodnight Moon, Goodnight Dog, Goodnight Cat, Goodnight Blog...

xoxo
Shelley 

No comments:

Post a Comment