Sunday, July 24, 2011

Booby video!!!


The Blue Footed Booby is a marine bird found primarily in the Galapagos Islands. They do this ridiculous mating dance to show off their blue feet. Apparently there are also red footed boobies and god forbid they mate with the wrong color booby!! I now know way more about blue footed boobies than I care to, simply to entertain my two amazing little people who are scared to death that their Mommy has cancer. This YouTube video is our go-to when we just need to laugh about it.

In the aftermath of 'the talk', the kids have had lots of questions and comments about cancer. Annika really wanted to understand the MRI. So, I explained to her that they injected me with a contrast dye in an IV so my boobies would be a different color in the pictures. It would help them figure out if there was any more cancer. Of course she wanted to know what color it was (you can see where I'm headed, right?) but since the dye in the IV was clear as far as I could tell, I just picked her favorite color. Blue. My boobies were blue in the MRI. And there you have it. We googled blue boobies, we got this weird bird and we all love them now :) Hey, whatever it takes!

There have also been some random comments, mostly in the car, from both kids. As we were driving, Josh said "Mom, I think I know how you got cancer" Oh, really? "Yeah, something in your body just didn't grow right." Sounds fairly accurate. Hmm... On a separate day, also in the car, Annika yelled "Mom!! I think I have cancer too!!" What?? Why would you say that? "My hair is falling out!!!" (as I look in the rearview mirror, I see that she just pulled out her ponytail holder) Annika, cancer doesn't make your hair fall out, it's just the medicine, which neither of us is taking right now. "oh yeah, well it was just a couple pieces anyway" :) The bigger, tougher questions are those that the kids are asking Daddy and Lauren. Poor Lauren always gets the tough ones, but she does such a great job handling them! On Saturday night, the kids spent the night at Dad's so I could spend some time with friends. Annika asked a lot of questions about whether or not people die from cancer and whether or not I'm going to die. She was very worried about what she would do if I die. Lauren assured her that my doctors and I were working very hard to make sure that doesn't happen and that she'll always have a Mommy. Another reason I'm so thankful that Lauren is in their little lives :)

I was anxiously awaiting the results of the aforementioned MRI and the doc who reads them (you know this part) was on vacation. The doc filling in for her normally reads at a different facility and the machines and results vary. On Friday, she gave me some preliminary results but assured me that I really want the doc who is familiar with that machine to give me the report and the concrete results. However, she did say that as far as she can tell, there is nothing besides the known cancer. That's good news...I think. I'll wait until tomorrow when the 'real' doc gives me those results. I meet with the oncologist on Tuesday and CANNOT wait to get a plan in place. So...that's it on the cancer front!

We had a fun weekend...a really NORMAL weekend. I actually went back to work on Friday, stopped for a quick drink with friends on the way home. The kids and I went to a movie. Saturday, Julia invited us to a pool party (thanks, doll, it was SO fun!!) and while the kids were at dad's, I had a great night out with amazing friends. Sam and Kelly take such good care of me and I even got goodies from the Kevern garden! (have you ever had Mexican sour gherkins?? They're ridiculous!) We went to Laurie and Nick's going away party (gonna miss you guys!) and collected hugs from a whole house full of awesome people. Coleen even came through with the vegan peanut butter chocolate chip cupcakes she promised :)  Debbie promised me that she'll make sure to keep me running as much as possible. It was a feel-good day for sure. Today, we went rock climbing and I got a nice workout in at the gym. We bought Josh a baby leopard gecko (named Gingko-he's so cute!) to replace his anole who died a few months ago. Yeah, it was a very normal, but fun weekend. In fact, a few times I even forgot that I have cancer. I know that once treatment starts, I won't have the energy to do everything I normally do, but I'm sure as hell going to try. I owe it to my kids, these amazing little people, to continue to enjoy our lives every single day. I refuse to change our lifestyle and stop having fun. Cancer or no cancer, hair or no hair, boobs or no boobs, I'm going to enjoy it. Now don't you want to watch the booby video again??  

4 comments:

  1. Those were some good lookin' boobies!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha. Whew. I was afraid this was a video from Saturday night or something! Anyway, you're doing GREAT! I bet one of your slow days is like one of my productive days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the bobbie video! Thanks for sharing. I love you girl and a promise is a promise. I will be there for you I PROMISE!!! I'm so Thankful for YOU!!! XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete