Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The beauty in you is your spirit...

Every time I sit down to start, I have a million things I'd like to share. Today as I sat down, with a nagging head cold (allergies, sinus infection, whatev) and a cup of tea, the tag on my tea struck my eye. "The beauty in you is your spirit." That is what I'd like to share...

I have spirit, yes I do, I have spirit, how 'bout you?! Sounds like a cheerleader's chant to me. I wasn't a cheerleader...in fact, I didn't really like many cheerleaders (it's true!) but for a week, I've had the most talented cheerleaders on my side and I am SO SO thankful. My team captain, Kelly, (who actually WAS a cheerleader and I still love her) has not skipped a beat, stepping in and helping me take control of this situation. Being diagnosed with cancer is scary...but a whole lot less scary when you've got someone who makes time to attend the critical appointments and ask all the right questions. More importantly, an absolutely amazing woman who handled her breast cancer diagnosis and defeat with grace and agility. She is the true essence of 'spirit'. There isn't a person I know who wouldn't agree with me. I love you Kelly!!  There are the rest of the Jaybirds (you'll learn about them soon enough) who have each had their own role in cheerleading this week, whether it's amazing hugs and garden fresh treats (Sam-'The Hugger'), heartfelt emotions and sentiments sent from afar (Jenn-and Ava!), or just good ole girl talk (Desiree), I love them all and feel so fortunate to have this squad. My friend Julia whose support is understood and strong...Dr. Shelley (no, not my alter ego who has done a lot of research...I really have a friend of the same name who is so much smarter) who helps me break down the info and checks in almost daily. My dear, dear friend Debbie who epitomizes 'spirit' and has dragged my tired body out on the trails twice this week. We talk, we run, we talk, we run...my therapy :) Day 1, Day 2.... so thankful for YOU!

My running friends, the boys and girls, and Coleen's vegan peanut butter chocolate chip cupcakes...the people who have made their presence known in other ways that affect me so deeply. The thoughts, the prayers, the well wishes... I love cheerleaders!! My neighbors who have already helped me in more ways than one. And of course, my family, who unwaveringly supports me in so many ways. My heart is so full so THANK YOU cheerleaders!!

No worries, the oncology report is on its way!!

4 comments:

  1. I Love You Shelley! I will always and forever be here for you! You are blessed that's for sure. What a wonderful group of cheerleaders you have, and I'm proud to be included as one of them. I will see you on Friday can't wait. Until we meet again. XOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you too Shelley and I was once a cheerleader but I always got in trouble for watching the football game instead of cheering. I am here for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just in it for the jocks.... Love you lady! You have fantastic friends cause you are one yourself!! Thanks for the kind words and for just being you...simply compassionate and amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, it's Jenn (and Ava) here and I was too busy listening to the Grateful Dead to be a cheerleader, not that they ever would have taken on dreadlocked hippie like me. My horrible sense of rhythm is much more compatible to dancing to jam bands than doing backflips and waving pom poms!
    I have been thinking about you so much, and happy that you are letting yourself be supported by people that love you. I am sure that it's a weird role for you, given what an amazing support you are to so many people. I am watching how you do this as a mom, and I am so impressed by your humor and grace and just plain SHELLEYNESS that you are approaching this challenge with.
    I love you so much and wish I could do more from afar!
    xoxoxoxoxoxox jb and ava

    ReplyDelete