Thursday, December 29, 2011

I've definitely got a Golgi Complex

My words of wisdom frequently come from my Yogi tea tags as I sit down to blog. In fact, tonight, I decided that I would base my chemo post on whatever my tea tag told me :) Perhaps it's a little coincidental that I was drinking Gingko Clarity tea for mental clarity?!

~To be great, feel great and act great~

Thank you Yogi for making this so easy :) In an earlier post, when I said I was dancing like the whole world was watching, I guess it's really the same thing, right?

That's cover material if I've ever seen it! Love you Kel!
So as many of you know, yesterday I became famous. (no, this is not where the Golgi Complex comes in) Ok, maybe not really FAMOUS, but Kelly and I graced the cover of INK magazine in a great article written by the awesome Sarah Gish. It was so amazing to read our story from an outsider's perspective and to see the timeline laid out so clearly. Aside from feeling a bit like an exhibitionist ;), I am as free spirited as Sarah would lead you to believe and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am also SO thankful (in case you haven't noticed) to have been 'cocooned with love and support by family and friends'. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks for the awesome pics, Jen Hack! 






There was some anonymous criticism to the 'heavy, huge, constant publicity and attention' that breast cancer gets and although everyone else seems to get it, to be honest, I'm pretty confused. I am thankful that the research has been done and that I'm alive right now. Unfortunately, not enough has been done yet and I'm left hanging with the rare type of breast cancer that is still under-researched and needs more answers to give me a better prognosis long term. I am thankful for Susan G Komen's sister who was passionate enough to create a movement so powerful to generate the dollars for this type of research. If it's lung cancer that has taken your family member, please start a movement! If it's childhood cancer, do something like my amazing friends Deliece Hofen, Tim Lockyear and the Supporting Kids Foundation are doing. I'm not sure why anyone would take the opportunity to attempt to cast a gray cloud over such an uplifting article. I'm really and truly sad for the anonymous critic who has lost so many family members. But I am also really super happy to be alive today :) 


It also really made me think about this article in a different light. Was it really about breast cancer? Maybe a little. We're losing our breasts. It's a tough obstacle to overcome as a woman. But aside from making our boobs a bit famous, this article is really about so much more. It's about love, support and friendship, facing adversity with confidence, and dancing like the whole world is watching. It's about living your life like you don't care that you're bald. (I have a friend who has alopecia, not even cancer, and she inspires me every time I see her beautiful face!) It's about acting great, feeling great and being great :) Nope, still not the Golgi Complex! But if you really want to know, I'm done with this topic anyway...


Your Golgi Complex is invading my Endoplasmic Reticulum!


Today was chemo round #13, Score: AC 4, Taxol 9...3 rounds to go in 2012!! Yes, I am done chemo for this year! 


I've been feeling pretty crappy this week. On Christmas (separate post on its way!), Josh had a nasty little cold. It crossed cp's mind to offer to keep him instead of risk getting me sick. NO way! I will take my chances, but I am NOT missing out on a Christmas with my kiddo. He's 6 and he still gets SO excited. I really needed that this year. So I (of course) was blanketed in kisses and snotty noses all day and got a scratchy throat, aches and was ridiculously tired in the days following. 


Santa ROCKS!
After the serious dip in WBC's and ANC last week, I was SURE that this week's numbers would be ugly. I was optimistic that they would let me have chemo regardless since I get a Neulasta shot tomorrow anyway. So I had my usual good looking chemo date crew with me (this week was an all-time record of attendees! Thanks Chris, James, Desiree, and Adam!! Love you all!) and lo and behold, my counts were actually UP!! In fact, my ANC was within normal range for the first time in a 3rd consecutive round of Taxol. Hmmm... in the words of my acupuncturist/herbalist/friend Travis, 'You are an oddity!' Well, yeah, Travis! We've known that for a LONG time! But really, what the hell is this spike in ANC all about? It makes no sense whatsoever. Unless... I did get one really special gift from Santa in my stocking...  Yup, a scientific model of a white blood cell. (The Golgi Complex and Endoplasmic Reticulum are just components of the cell but they sound so fun, I just had to include them :) ) Could this be the secret to the rise in counts? I guess we'll never really know, but now you have to decide...do YOU believe in Santa? I do :)  


*did I mention that James made homemade paw paw donuts for chemo that were SO delicious?! You rock James!!


Ok, so here's what's next:


Jan 11-appt with Dr Sharma (I was wrong on the last schedule)
Jan 12-Chemo: Taxol round # 10 of 12
Jan 13-Coleen's Frozen Fat Ass Run (EVERYONE should be there! Come one, come all!)  
Jan 19-Chemo: Taxol round # 11 of 12
Jan 26-Chemo: Taxol round # 12 of 12!!!!!!!!! Partayyyyyyy!!!


So today, I feel great...I'm pretty sure I acted great (especially leaving chemo in my movie star sunglasses, with my INK magazine in hand, and 3 handsome men following me through the lobby. If only they had worn black suits and earpieces...) so I guess that means that today was pretty GREAT!! 


Cheers to normal ANC, a massive cocoon of love and support, and another round of chemo under my belt!!


xoxo
Shelley 

3 comments:

  1. The amazing love, support and warmth of everyone you've touched is the one thing that stood out in the article for me! Yes its about the boobs...but there is so, so much more! Hope to be there at Coleen's Run and with any luck get to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never truly know who we are, until we face real adversity. Adversity, catastrophe, life, doesn't build character, but defines it. You will know what you are made of when you faced with such struggles. I don't have breast cancer, but I was a quadriplegic who was told, "be prepared to use a wheel chair the rest of your life." I was 14 and had everything to look forward to. I just couldn't let go of football, even when I was warned two days before I broke my neck, that if I didn't get any bigger, I was going to get seriously hurt. So when I started making my recovery and people were telling me how inspirational I was, everyone failed realize, that having a great recovery also meant living with chronic pain and atrophied muscles every single day for the rest of my life. I share this with you Shelley because I want you to know that no matter how tough life can be, you can overcome it, you can deal with it, and you can still be happy. It's hard, but attitude is everything. From what I have read about you, and the little I have gleemed from our conversations, you have an amazing attitude. You are in my thoughts.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete