Sunday, December 4, 2011

Our 'Modern Family'...Happy Spanksgiving!!

I'VE GOT ALL MY SISTERS AND ME

me, 'Karen', Lauren, Tori  
I used to crack a joke(that was probably only funny to me) that I have one 'real' sister and the others are imaginary. Funny! Right?! Well that couldn't be further from the truth. The reality is that I have 3 sisters who are all very real, all very different from each other. Over the years, we have evolved from a 23 year age gap to 4 adult women who love and respect each other very much. If you read my birthday blog, you know that I received the awesome birthday gift of a visit from my two younger sisters for Thanksgiving. Our eldest (and wisest, most beautiful, and intelligent) sister, Karen, lives in Hawaii and wasn't able to spend the holiday with us. We did find small ways to include her in our escapades and missed her...of course! 

So, one of the most amazing thing about my sisters is how differently we are all related. Silly statement, right? Maybe so, but it's true! You could say that we are a 'blended' family...our own version of a Modern Family, I guess. We are proof positive that amazing, loving parents and good co-parenting can result in happy healthy relationships all around. Although genetically we don't all 'share' the same parents, we all have awesome parents and we really do share them in so many ways :)  

Karen is my only 'full' biological sister. We share both the same (amazing) parents and all the same genes (except somehow she got the skinny ass and organization gene). We've been sisters since birth and will be sisters forever. We're very different but I think she is amazing and we love each other just the same :) I don't see her nearly often enough, but once this stupid cancer thing is over, I plan to see her much more. And it sure doesn't hurt that she lives in tropical paradise! :) 

Then there's Lauren, who became my sister (technically stepsister) when I was in college. For those of you trying to do the math, she is 10 years younger than me and that was a loooong time ago :) Lauren is adorable, sweet, thoughtful, intelligent, responsible and I absolutely adore her. She has grown from my kid stepsister to an incredible adult and great friend. We share ZERO genes, but somehow I have more in common with her than I do most people. She has a great appreciation for good healthy food and good craft beer, she loves to run (yay!) and I truly enjoy every minute I spend with her. She is also the mastermind behind the Blue Footed Boobie t-shirts! (see pic above) Sisterhood wasn't forced upon us...Dad and Mary let us come about it in our own way...but it was so natural and I love her :)  

Tori
And then last, but certainly not least, there's my 'baby' (half)sister Tori (Victoria Grace) who I've come to realize really isn't our baby sister anymore. I was 21 when she was born and she stole my heart the minute I saw her. Now, she has grown into a stunning, gorgeous young woman. I mean, look at her! She got the best genes from both sides obviously and her beauty isn't just skin deep. She is as beautiful inside as out :) I can't believe that next year, she is going to COLLEGE! I am excited to see the amazing things she accomplishes when she spreads her wings. Spending time with her as an adult is so weird for me but so much fun! It's hard to believe she's all grown up... :)

*If you've made it this far without needing to dry your eyes, congrats. I have not been so lucky. Through my cancer battle, my relationship with each of my sisters has been changed. I've always loved them, but now, I can't imagine life without them. I love you all and I'm so thankful for you :)

On a less emotional note (until I start writing about it-jeez!), we had an AMAZING action-packed few days and I sent Lauren and Tori back to NY/VT completely wiped out and exhausted :) We had so much fun that we had to create a new holiday to celebrate. It all started when they flew in late the night before Thanksgiving...

THANKSGIVING DAY
I thought the perfect way to kick off our holiday was of course to run the Ward Parkway Thanksgiving Day 5k with my sisters. Lauren and I are both pretty avid runners and since Tori is 17 and an athlete (although not a runner), we assumed she'd run circles around us. The girls bought me the greatest t-shirt in the airport on the way here so Tori and I wore matching shirts :) It was a chilly morning but sunny and really a beautiful day. We had a blast and although we surely didn't break any records, I can't think of a 5k that I've enjoyed more. Tori gave Lauren and I a nice little ego boost when we had to run backward to wait for her and practically drag her up the last hill. When we finished, she yelled 'never again!' but I'm pretty sure that she has already changed her mind... :) And I'm also pretty sure she'll never have a tall glass of milk before a race ever again!


Our adorable hosts :)
Lori, Laurie, Sherry
So after the race, we were invited to share a Thanksgiving meal with Sam and John and John's family visiting from Wisconsin. The food was fabulous, the company even better. Esther and Walt, John's 90-ish year old grandparents, were absolutely delightful and his parents were equally lovely. John smoked a turkey and it was ridiculously delicious aside a super healthy spread of quinoa stuffing, chipotle sweet potatoes, whipped cauliflower... really amazing food! I am so thankful to have such wonderful friends to welcome us into their home with their family on a holiday best spent with friends and family. You guys are the best! Thank you!! Love you!

After dinner, we picked up Adam and headed to the Country Club Plaza for the 82nd annual Plaza Lighting ceremony. Eric Stonestreet from Modern Family (how apropos) flipped the switch and we joined the crowd to celebrate. 
A pre-lighting drink on the patio 


Waiting to join the flash mob... hehe


Awesome fireworks!!








The masses

It was such a festive atmosphere and we shared lots of laughs...a night I will definitely remember. A perfect day to celebrate being thankful for the amazing people in my life.  I can honestly say that since my diagnosis in July, I have counted my blessings more than I have my entire life. I might have cancer right this moment, but I also have amazing family, amazing friends, the ability to enjoy a happy life otherwise and for this, I am truly grateful.

So...we picked up the kids on our way home from the Plaza and went straight to bed...

SPANKSGIVING


When I woke up the next day, it just began as 'Friday'...chemo day this week since Thursday was a holiday. Lauren and I headed to the treatment center (with coffee in hand since my appointment was at 8am -yawn) and left Tori and the kiddos sleeping. I can't even tell you how nice it was to have Lauren with me at my treatment this week. It was weird to be there over a holiday. Half the lights were off in the building and the labs were closed so my normal routine was all messed up. Either way, we settled in and within an hour of getting started, Adam surprised us with a half dozen pumpkin spice glazed donuts. (You're the BEST-yum!) Time flew by and before we knew it, chemo was done and we headed home to pick up Tori and the kids to meet Kelly for lunch. I am SO happy that they got to meet her since she is really such an important part of my life. The food was really good and I got to introduce Lauren to Boulevard beer...good times :)
Lunch at The Farmhouse



My adorable kidlets :)


After a little shopping on the Plaza, we decided to take in the Luminary Walk at the Overland Park Arboretum. I mean, why not?! It was such a gorgeous night and who doesn't love a good luminary walk?! We were in a bit of a hurry since we hadn't eaten dinner, but we enjoyed every minute of it regardless. We made a decision on our way that we'd celebrate Josh's birthday early when we got home so you can imagine that at least one of us was a little excited to get home :)    
Mom and kidlets


My hilarious sisters in their 'prom pose'-hehe

Just hanging out in chairs made just their size 

Annika and Aunt Tori by the campfire, caroling with fresh warm cider  

Aunt Lauren, me, Josh 

We all got to share our Christmas wishes with Santa...mine was HAIR!! :)
On our way home from the park, we stopped to pick up the fixin's for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Since we had already celebrated Thanksgiving, Tori decided to create a new holiday for us to celebrate. Any good birthday party comes with spankings and so was born our new tradition...Spanksgiving!!
Happy Spanksgiving!!!

After dinner, Josh got to open presents which ended up being a gift to all of us. The only thing on Josh's list? LEGOS!!
Happy 6th Birthday and Spanksgiving, Josh!

Pure happiness :)

Lauren and Annika amidst Lego-mania!
We Skyped Aunt Karen, Jake and Will in Hawaii so they could celebrate Spanksgiving too!



The rest of our time together was really just hanging out and having lunch at the Westside Local. 


Love <3
I'm still digesting the fact that they're gone even though it's been a week. I missed them before the visit and I miss them even more now. In the spirit of the holiday though, I'm going to choose to just be thankful that they were even able to come visit at all. Isn't there a saying 'Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"?? Well, that's exactly what I'm going to do. 

Happy belated Spanksgiving!

xoxo
Shelley

1 comment:

  1. So glad I finally got to meet your incredible sisters (minus Karen of course)!! Great family!!

    ReplyDelete